complementary feed for calves
At a glance
- contains highly effective probiotics
- contains mucilaginous ingredients which have positive effects in the intestines
- readily available energy
- excellent absorption / acceptance
- readily soluble in water and unskimmed milk
There are many possible reasons why calves suffer from diarrhoea early in life. One of them is a pathogen called Cryptosporidium. On one of our trial farms, this pathogen caused an increased occurrence of diarrhoea; 20 % of the calves died. As the calves on this farm are reared to restock the herd, such frequent sickness and loss of calves was especially troublesome. Preventive measures used consisted of using Halocur® and a suitable antibiotic along with infusions in case of emergencies.
Due to the positive feedback we had received from customers on mymom® profimix, we instigated a trial aimed to take a closer look at the prophylactic use of a combination of jbs kälberpaste® and mymom® profimix.
24 calves participated in this trial. Before the trial, faecal samples were taken from several calves, one of which was positive for Cryptosporidium. The calves were given a dose of jbs kälberpaste® directly after colostrum-feeding, which was repeated the next day. From the third day on, a daily dose of mymom® profimix was added to their unskimmed milk ration. mymom® profimix was administered up until the 10th day of life when the calves were switched to milk replacer.
The combination of jbs kälberpaste® and mymom® profimix had positive effects on the calves‘ health. All 24 calves in the trial have developed well, there were no losses.
Both products were easily incorporated into the daily routine and were fed without any problems - not least due to the tasty vanilla flavour.
There were isolated cases of diarrhoea, in which case the affected calves continued to be fed with mymom® profimix and received a one-time treatment with antibiotics. The calves continued to drink well during that time resulting in a fast recovery. Halocur® was not used over the course of this trial.
The farm manager‘s time was saved, and workload reduced, as the calves required less treatment. This farm is still using jbs kälberpaste® and mymom® profimix, as not only are the calves a lot fitter, but the farm manager was finally able to take sundays off again!
mymom® profimix is a supplement for calves based on linseed; it may be used in either water or unskimmed milk. High quality probiotics offer excellent protection against pathogens while simultaneously stimulating the calves‘ intestinal tract. mymom® profimix tastes good - so, it‘s a real treat for your calves. May be given from first week of life onwards.
Triple protection for calves
1. Probiotics: Selected probiotics assist the calf in its development and offer important support in protecting it against pathogens, as well as improving the feed conversion. As the probiotics create a healthy balance of enterobacteria, the calf is better equiped to handle any stressful situations that may arise. Another important aspect is the formation of enzymes, as these enable the calf to digest non-lactic food and support an early intake of mymom® müsli plus (cereal mix) and roughage.
2. Various nutrients are crucial when it comes to ensuring a calf’s positive development right from the start: Manganese, zinc, copper and cobald are all components of digestive enzymes and have - just like selenium and vitamin E – positive effects on the immune system. In the thyroid gland, iodine is needed for a hormone which plays an important part in metabolism and growth. Growth necessitates the development of a stable skeleton, which in turn requires vitamin D. mymom® profimix contains all these essential nutrients plus vitamin A.
3. Due to selected ingredients, mymom® profimix is able to form mucilage, which coats the intestinal wall and protects it. Furthermore, the calf is supplied with useful omega-3 fatty acids. These acids cannot be synthesized by the calf itself, yet they are vitally important for skin protection and the immune system. Valuable fibre supports the intestinal functions.
- highly effective probiotics
- whey powder
- wheat starch
- sodium bicarbonate
- sodium chloride
- psyllium husks
- essential vitamins
Recommended daily allowance: Dissolve 150 g in 2 l of unskimmed milk or warm water and administer for 14 days (or up until feeding milk replacer). May also be administered as third drink of the day (dissolve in warm water).
Storage / shelf life
- shelf life: 12 months from date of manufacture if stored in a cool and dry place
- close tightly after use
Availabe as 5 kg or 10 kg bucket.